Sunday, June 7, 2009

She's not my little girl anymore!

Lexi's Spring dance recital was titled, "Fairy tales & More". Her class danced to Sleeping Beauty, and there were other classes that danced to Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, and many other fairytale pieces. Ever since Lexi started dancing, we have given her a little "present" after the show to tell her how proud we are of her. She has been dancing since she was 5 years old. We started by giving her ballerina barbies, pet shops, and other toys that she was really in to at the time. One year we even had a trophy made for her with a ballerina on it. This year I found barbies in the fairytale theme. Since Belle is one of her favorites, I decided to get it for her this year.

When she finished the show, she asked me where her present was. I apologized, and told her that I forgot to bring it with me to the show, but that I did get her something, and it was at home on the table. She wanted to hurry home, and was very anxious to see her gift. I might add it was about 10:oop.m. by the time the show got over, which may play an important role in the events that occurred next!

We came though the door, and she sat at the table and began to pull the tissue out of the bag to find her Belle barbie. She then said, "Is that it?" I told her,"Yes, did you want some candy type of treat or something else?"

At this point, she folded her arms on the table, and laid her head on her arms staring at the doll. I could tell by the look in her eyes, and her shaking lip that she wanted to cry, but was trying really hard not to.

I then told her I would be happy to take it back and get her something else that she wanted. I was very confused at the entire situation. I thought she would love the doll. I proceed to ask her what exactly was the matter. She then started to cry and said, "I wanted flowers like all of the other girls!"

Ok....I am not sure when I missed the, "I am old enough to now want flowers instead of a toy, but I really missed it, and missed it big time." I tried to explain to her that she had never wanted flowers before, and had always preferred a toy treat, as she called it. She responded with a quick, "Mom, I am NOT a little girl anymore!"

To end the conversation, I told her that her dad would be happy to stop at the store on his way home from work and buy her some flowers...my daughter is growing up, and as sad as it makes me, I guess I need to allow her to do it.

7 comments:

Daskams said...

that is so cute but so sad at the same time, they grow so so fast and they is really nothing we can do abou it, well that is life. candice i miss you a lot at work!!!
take care hope you are having fun at orem!!!

Janice said...

That is so sad. We miss you so much!

Nickie said...

Oh no. They get big way too fast. I feel your pain. I'm sure she did like the doll, just needed the flowers also. Wow, a girl after my own heart. We sure do love her, she is so great with Nati.

Marlene Sheppard said...

I can't believe she is so grownup. What a sweet heart. The time flys so fast. It is good to know that we all miss something once and a while. I loved the hug from Jordon on graduation. I can't believe how tall he has gotten. Hope you have a great summer.
Love Marlene

Becca said...

Candice-
That is pretty funny- sad but funny.

Wendy said...

Heart-wrenching! From toys to flowers? Yes, that must have been difficult to see her want flowers over the typical toy. However, I think it's going to be really special to be at her next dance recital and holding a bouquet of flowers for her and to see that joy on her face as you present them to her. Now, at least you have some years to be the one to give her flowers before the boys line up to do it! (YIKES!)

Debbie said...

Awwww. That's heartbreaking. Being a Mom isn't easy, is it? We are constantly humbled and learning, just like our kids are.

You're a great Mom!