Monday, March 9, 2009

Blue and Gold

Jordan had his first blue and gold banquet this year. The scouts were all assigned to decorate a cake in the theme of "American ABC's" for the dessert. Knowing how difficult it can be to decorate a cake, having taken two cake decorating classes myself, and still finding it hard, I was trying to come up with a way for Jordan to decorate his own cake, without me doing it, and without really decorating it?! That doesn't make sense does it?? I just had visions of icing and my eight year old all over the kitchen, and an undesirable cake for the families to eat at the banquet. So....I decided to let him frost the cake with cool whip (very easy to clean up) and place the fruit on the top to make a flag. He was excited until we got there and his cake was among seven others that were just like it!! I learned three things from this experience:
1. I can be a very uptight mother, wanting things to be just right, and look perfect.
2. The mess, no matter how large, could have been cleaned up.
3. I should have let him decorate the cake however he wanted, even if it wouldn't look good, or edible.
Most importantly, I hope I learned to let my kids do some of the creative things they are capable of, even if it may not be perfect!

7 comments:

Jade said...

He looks a little frightened in this pic..... cute cake even if others had the same

Shari said...

I really like to exercise too! ITs just getting in the habbit again. Then you remember and it feels so good when your done and for the rest of the day. This spring /summer we should meet up at a park with the kids. I wish this snow would just go away. I need to be out and about. I am going to post some whole wheat snikerdoodles tomorrow that were so good! They only have 59 calories in each cookie. Even My sister who didn't like the last whole wheat cookies liked it. You'll have to try it.

Claremont First Ward said...

It looks great, and I love the smile on his face.

I have to remind myself of the "lessons learned" you mentioned all the time!

Janice said...

I love his face, you're a great mom!

Wendy said...

He is proud of it--it's obvious and that is what counts. Love the face!

love for seven said...

It's pretty obvious that I have the same dilema(problem)that you do. So glad to know I'm not the only one. Is it really so bad that we always want things just so? Its crazy how our kids really make us see the other side of things. Just think how boring we would be without them.

Nickie said...

I loved it. The easier the better in my opinion.